PokerStars Software – New Features
The PokerStars software gives you the best poker playing experience available anywhere online. From intuitive features for basic game play to sophisticated functionality for advanced users, we are continuously updating and enhancing the poker software so you can get the most out of your game.
Check below for the latest software news and updates, and try out the newest features when you play poker.
* We have fixed a rare crash bug that affected players who played heads-up on multiple tables at once.
* Heads-up Sit & Go rematches will no longer show odd numbers for players with high Play Money balances.
* Many other bug fixes.
* A bug involving refresh issues on Windows 8 machines has been fixed. Tables will now feel much more responsive for affected players.
* Many improvements to flighted tournaments (which are now called Phased Tournaments).
* Play money satellites now allow repeat winners. Players who win a second entry into a tournament will receive its seat value in play chips.
* Many other bug fixes and small improvements.
* New installations of the desktop client will no longer round bets off by default.
* Many bug fixes.
* Many bug fixes and small improvements.
* No Limit and Pot Limit Omaha cash games now have player Buy-in Obligations. This feature prevents players from repeatedly joining tables with the minimum buy-in, leaving as soon as they’ve won, and then resuming playing with the minimum at other tables. For more information on this feature, see here, or email email@example.com.
* Heads up Sit & Go rematch dialogs have been improved for ease of use.
* .FR and .ES now support Flighted tournaments.
* Many bug fixes and small improvements.
* To speed up the time it takes from being seated to being dealt cards, all play money games will default to posting the big blind out of position. Players can change this back to the old behaviour in the ‘Options’ menu.
* Many bug fixes.
The November and December client updates feature many small improvements and miscellaneous bug fixes.
Mac Performance Improvements - We have optimized the Cocoa Mac client’s performance to prevent any client lag issues.
New Default Card Backs - we have changed the default card backs to be one of the recently added variants. If your card backs have changed and you want to go back to the previous design, please right-click on the table background or felt and select ‘Table Themes’, and adjust your card back design from there.
Auto-Centering when Automatically Seated - we have added the option to always be automatically centered in the bottom center seat (or the one closest to bottom center) when a player is automatically seated at a table, for example via ‘Seat me’ or ‘Find Me A Seat’.
* Extra Bet Slider Button
The desktop client will now have four configurable buttons that control betting amounts. We have also turned the bet slider shortcut buttons on for everyone, though you can still switch them off if you prefer. If you have already customized the bet slider shortcuts, go to ‘Options’ > ‘Bet Slider Options’ to configure the extra button.
* Mac Cocoa API
The new Cocoa client will be updated and deployed to all remaining licenses (including .COM). The Cocoa client has initial Retina support for text and native OS controls.
Re-entry tournaments (Beta)
We are introducing re-entry tournaments to the PokerStars tournaments offering. In re-entry tournaments, when you bust during late registration, you are given the option to re-enter the tournament. Unlike in a rebuy, you will not keep your seat (and there is no add-on period); instead, you are given a completely new tournament entry. Initially we will start with a small Beta offering of those tournaments until we verify that everything is functioning properly.
New card decks (Beta)
We've introduced two new card decks. They are accessible via Table Themes.
Mac Cocoa support
This month, we are converting our client into the new Mac Cocoa API. This is a prerequisite for adding Retina support and many other large Mac improvements. As a first step, the Mac client now supports emoticons and the ability to re-order different columns in the lobby list.
We are releasing a new set of beta sounds for the client and have made improvements to the way sounds are played in the client to improve the overall experience. To try the new Beta sounds, simply check ‘Enable beta sounds’ in the ‘Options’ > ‘Sounds’ menu. We will be looking to make those the default sounds for the client after the Beta period.
In addition to the sounds being updated, we have also added a unique sound for Raise actions.
We would love to hear how you like the new sounds – please email your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Installation and First Time Signup Process changes
In order to test our changes and ultimately make the new user experience better, a percentage of clients will now install with the new Group View mode on by default. To change it back to the original view, go to the View options on the left side of the main lobby and move the red button from the third setting to the first.
Further Improvements for Rebuy Tournaments
Whenever you are eligible for a rebuy, a rebuy button will show directly on the table. The location of this button on the table will vary based on the theme you are using. Once the Add-on period starts, the button will change accordingly.
Improvements to First Time Deposit Process
We are making improvements to the deposit process by enhancing the user experience at the first step, where we collect and verify important personal information about the player.
For now, this change will be for the French client only. We will then roll it out to other clients as well. While this is not something that will be visible as a major change to many players, it continues our goal towards making the initial experience more streamlined for recreational players.
New Game Types: 5 Card Omaha & Courchevel
We have deployed two new game types: 5 Card Omaha and Courchevel. Both will be rolled out in Hi and Hi/Lo variants, and you can find Ring Games under the ‘Omaha’ > ‘5 Card Omaha’ tabs.
In case you are not familiar with those variants, 5 Card Omaha is played just like regular Omaha, but with five hole cards. Courchevel is a variation of 5 Card Omaha where the first flop card is dealt face up at the beginning of the hand.
Font Options and Changes to Default Font Setup for List Of Games
In order to improve readability of the list of games, we are adding three pixels to the height of the rows in the main lobby game lists.
We also have added options to change the font used in the main lobby game lists. To access these options go to ‘View’ > ‘Game List Font Options’.
Auto Rebuy for Tournaments Improvements
We have introduced the ability for players to specify in more detail how they want Auto Rebuy to work in rebuy tournaments. You will now have three options to specify from the table of a rebuy tournament:
- Whenever possible
- 1x Rebuy when 0 chips
- 2x Rebuy when 0 chips
In addition, we are adding the ability to set your default tournament Auto Rebuy preference so that you don’t need to specify your selection for each tournament. To do this, simply go to ‘Options’ > ‘Auto Rebuy (Tournaments)...’. Of course, you can also later change your choice via the table controls for each individual tournament.
Option to Register for a New Sit & Go from Elimination Dialog
We have added the ability to register for another Sit & Go of the same type in the dialog that shows once a tournament ends for you. This is simply a convenience feature to allow players to jump straight into another Sit & Go of the same type.
Zoom Observation Mode
This item was briefly mentioned last update, but we have now rolled out the ability to observe a Zoom group. Once you select a Zoom group you will notice an ‘Observe Game’ button. What actually happens is that observers see a selection of hands that have been recently played, to allow them to get a feel for Zoom. There are multiple factors that determine which hands are picked and shown to observers, but the goal is to pick the most interesting hands.
We also now have the ability to show Zoom groups in the main list of Ring Games, as some of you have already noticed.
Hall Of Fame Client Badges
We are introducing ‘Hall of Fame’ badges for players who are members of the VIP Club Hall of Fame. You can read more about the Hall of Fame here.
Views for Ring Game Lobbies
After adding a few enhancements to functionality during the Beta stage, we are releasing new views for the list of available games in the ring game lobbies. After you next update the software, you will see a new control in the ring game lobbies that allows you to change the ‘View’, with these three options:
- Table View - This is the usual standard view, i.e. one list with all tables that match your filter settings
- Groups View - All tables of the same type are grouped together in one entry, and there is a ‘Find Me A Seat’ button. This button looks for an empty seat at a table of this type. If no seat is immediately available, you will be given the option to continue searching for a seat. In this instance, the system will automatically add you to waiting lists and check for available seats until you either cancel the search or a seat is found. In either eventuality, you are automatically removed from any waiting lists where the system has added you. Soon, the plan is to integrate this with Table Starters (see November 2012 update below), so that if one exists you will also be added to the Table Starter.
We have also added a new ‘Observe’ icon, which when clicked will open a table of this type that can be observed. Also, the number of tables now shows only tables which are dealing (for non-HU types), as opposed to also including empty or non-dealing tables.
- Combo View - Here you can see groups, and once you select a group you will also see the specific tables within a group. It’s great for players who like to monitor multiple table types, but like to switch easily between them.
Graphical Preview for Ring Games
We have added a graphical preview of the selected ring game in the main lobby. You will see a new toggle icon above the list of players on a table in the main lobby, allowing you to switch between the standard list view and a new graphical view of the table. In the graphical view you will still see notes on opponents, but in addition you will also be shown sitting out players, and where the button is. You can also choose a specific seat directly from the lobby, if one is available.
Progressive Knockout Tournaments
We will be trialling a new type of a knockout tournament, currently given the working title ‘Progressive Knockouts’. In this variant, when you eliminate a player, you get a part of their bounty credited to your account, but another part goes towards your own bounty. This means you become more attractive to your opponents!
We are initially deploying only a few of these, to make sure everything is running smoothly before we deploy on a wider scale.
Ability to Change Order of Columns in Lobby
This update adds drag & drop functionality to the columns in the main lobby, so you can arrange them just the way you want. Simply drag the header of any column and drop it where you want. You can also click the Column Settings gear icon just above the scroll bar to further configure your lobby.
Auto-Seating Options (Ring Games)
This update merges the ‘Find Seat Options’ and ‘Table Starter Preferences’ into a new ‘Auto-Seating Options (Ring Games)’ dialog that is found under the ‘Options’ menu in the main lobby.
Game List Font Options
We have added three new font set-ups. You can change the font set-up from ‘View’ > ‘Game List Font Options’. The new options are:
- ‘Microsoft Sans Serif with Row Padding’ - this is the current font, with a few pixels of added row padding to aid readability.
- ‘Utah’ - this is a set-up that uses the Utah font. Utah is a relatively new font that is designed to be narrow but at the same time very readable.
- ‘Arial’ - this is a set-up with the Arial font.
For each of the set-ups you can change the font size to adjust the size up and down to your liking.
Preferred Seat Enhancements
We are enhancing the preferred seat functionality slightly. In addition to updating the graphics to the Nova theme, we are also adding two new options: ‘Auto-center me at ring game tables’ and ‘Auto-center me at tournament tables’. If checked, each option will automatically seat you in the bottom centre seat for the respective game type, unless you already have a preferred seat setting for a specific layout. For themes that don’t have a bottom centre seat, you will be seated in the seat on the right of the bottom centre of the table.
We will also make the option for tournaments switched on by default, while the one for ring games will be off by default.
Speed Filter Changes (Ring Games)
In line with the changes to table speed, the ring game filters will not have a Speed box anymore. Same applies to Easy Seat.