PokerStars launches HKD $1m buy-in Guangdong Asia Millions
PokerStars and the Guangdong Group (Macau) Ltd today announced the 'GuangDong Ltd Asia Millions' (GDAM) tournament, and tipped it to be the biggest poker tournament ever held outside of the World Series of Poker in terms of prize pool, and the largest ever high-roller event by number of players.
The GDAM tournament will run from June 4-7 and will take place in Macau at the 'PokerStars LIVE at the City of Dreams' poker room. It will feature a Main Event from June 5-7 with a buy-in of HKD $1,000,000 (USD $130,000) with two HKD $1,000,000 rebuys allowed. There will also be a HKD $250,000 (USD $32,500) Warm-up Event on June 4.
"This is going to be the one of the most amazing poker tournaments of all-time," said Danny McDonagh, Director of Live Poker Operations for the Asia Pacific for PokerStars. "We are expecting over 100 players to sit down and play and one of the biggest prize pools for a poker tournament outside of the World Series of Poker. It's going to be seriously huge! "
Biggest-ever tournament prize package
The field will comprise many Guangdong Group members, and limited seats are available to other players. PokerStars will also offer one player the chance to qualify for the GDAM event online. The prize package will be worth USD $132,000, and will be the biggest-ever tournament package given away on PokerStars. For more details about how to qualify, visit www.pokerstars.com/poker/promotions/GDAM/
The Guangdong Group (previously Neptune Group) organised a HKD $2,000,000 (USD $260,000) buy-in event held in Macau in August 2012, which saw 73 players take to the felt including Phil Ivey, Tom Dwan, Gus Hansen, Sam Trickett and Patrik Antonius. On that occasion they competed for a prize pool of HKD $182,360,000 (USD $23,511,000). The first prize of HKD $50,149,000 (USD $6,465,746) was eventually won by Stanley Choi, instantly propelling him to 47th place in the All Time Money List. For more details, please visit www.guangdongmacau.com.
Winnie Wong, CEO from Guangdong Group said: "Guangdong is happy to organize another high stake poker tournament in Macau this year. I see strong synergy between Guangdong and PokerStars. I believe this Event will be excited, stunning and leave a mark in Macau poker history."
*All tournaments are subject to regulatory approval
CURRENT BIGGEST POKER TOURNAMENTS (BY PRIZE POOL) OUTSIDE WORLD SERIES OF POKER
(Event, Prize Pool (US$), Location)
1. 2012 Macau High Stakes Challenge Super High Roller $23,511,128 Macau
2. 2007 WPT Championship $15,495,750 USA
3. 2011 PokerStars Caribbean Adventure $15,132,000 Bahamas
4. 2010 PokerStars Caribbean Adventure $14,831,300 Bahamas
5. 2006 WPT Championship $14,671,250 USA
6. 2008 EPT Grand Final $13,323,417 Monaco
7. 2008 WPT Championship $13,216,250 USA
8. 2009 EPT PokerStars Caribbean Adventure $12,674,000 Bahamas
9. 2011 PokerStars 10th Anniversary Celebration - Sunday Million $12,423,200 PokerStars
10. 2009 EPT Grand Final $12,293,896 Monaco
11. 2010 World Championship of Online Poker $12,215,000 PokerStars
12. 2011 PokerStars 5th Anniversary Sunday Million $11,825,600 PokerStars
13. 2010 EPT Grand Final $11,289,206 Monaco
14. 2008 World Championship of Online Poker $10,925,000 PokerStars
15. 2009 World Championship of Online Poker $10,720,000 PokerStars
16. 2012 PokerStars Caribbean Adventure $10,398,400 Bahamas
17. 2011 EPT Grand Final $10,181,818 Spain
18. 2013 PokerStars Sunday Million 7th Anniversary $9,857,400 PokerStars
19. 2007 WPT Doyle Brunson Five Diamond World Poker Classic $9,661,200 USA
20. 2013 PokerStars Caribbean Adventure $9,573,900 Bahamas
Find out more about the fantastic PokerStars Live Macau poker room here.