Weekend Review: Back to normal for the Sunday Majors
There's something quite comforting about things returning to normal after the New Year celebrations. Last week there was a $5 million guarantee to mark the end of 2014. This week it was business as usual, with the Sunday Million stripped of any bells and whistles, and returning to its familiar format. And what's not to like about that.
Some 7,614 players seemed to agree, taking seats this week. After nearly half a day of play the final nine got to work, with a three way deal ultimately sending the title and $196,911.97 the way of doypaliza of Argentina.
As Jason Kirk reported on the PokerStars Blog it was a volatile final table, not least for runner-up BDmaro of Germany, who had the fewest chips when the final got underway. It would prove some spin up.
Elsewhere the Sunday Warm-Up played on in its usual glory. As David Aydt wrote shortly after it concluded, vip25459 earned himself a very important win, one worth $99,884 to the Kazakhstani, ahead of runner up random_chu from Australia.
The box scores from the Sunday Million and the Warm-Up are below:
1/4/15 Sunday Million ($215 No-Limit Hold'em) results
Prize pool: $1,522,800
Places paid: 1,170
1. doypaliza (Argentina) $196,911.97*
2. BDmaro (Germany) $164,439.69*
3. Scorpion0999 (Germany) $148,790.66*
4. DarkWinDuk (Austria) $76,749.12
5. shulman20 (Israel) $60,912
6. D0ntTiltOnMe (Russia) $45,684
7. Phill "Grindation" Mcallister (United Kingdom) $30,456
8. Allantobias (Brazil) $17,512.20
9. phil548 (Russia) $11,801.70
* - denotes results of a three-way deal
PokerStars Sunday Warm-Up results(01-04-15)
Places paid: 495
Prize Pool: $636,200.00
1. vip25459 (Kazakhstan) $99,884.21
2. random_chu (Australia) $74,435.40
3. Tonyfish77 (United Kingdom) $52,486.50
4. elliottpet (United Kingdom) $36,581.50
5. Kungfumonk (United Kingdom) $27,038.50
6. 10johan6 (Netherlands) $20,676.50
7. 4QuietSTorm4 (Canada) $14,314.50
8. jusc (Lithuania) $7,952.50
9. yoz2k11 (Switzerland) $5,089.60
These weren't the only winners this past weekend. The usual raft of weekend majors turned up a long list of winners, which you can browse at your leisure at the link below.
The full list of tournament results for the weekend January 3-4, 2015
But while the online tournament world returns to normal, things start to get a little exciting in the live poker world this week.
In case you missed it, the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure 2015 gets under way this week, starting with the Super High Roller event, kicking things off tomorrow. Then on Thursday the main feature, the Main Event, with a buy in of $10,300, which will conclude next Wednesday bringing the festival to a close.
As always you can depend on the PokerStars Blog for all the live coverage, as well as stories and features from the tournament floor. What's more you can watch events unfold for yourself, with each day's action available on PokerStars.tv, starting tomorrow at 15:00 (EST). That also includes the cards up final table of the Super High Roller on Thursday. For details of everything taking place in the Bahamas, check out the PCA homepage.
In the meantime congratulations to all of this weekend's winners.
Stephen Bartley is a staff writer for the PokerStars Blog.