Weekend Review: Marbella plus Mercier the magnificent
A look at all the highlights from the PokerStars world this weekend.
Weekend highlights on PokerStars
* Mercier wins a fifth WSOP bracelet, his second in a week
* Jonathan Schuman wins UKIPT/Estrellas Marbella Main Event
* Koby295 wins the Sunday Million for a payday of $188,000
Mercier the magnificent
At the start of last week it was suggested that the WSOP website was riddled with typos, because Jason Mercier kept appearing at the top of the chip counts in every $10,000 event. By the end of the week, the same accusations were made because he wasn't at the top.
It has been quite a week for the American Team Pro. By now you'll have heard the news, but just in case you haven't Jason Mercier won two WSOP bracelets last week, and managed to come second in another event in between.
We detailed all of that on the blog, the first win which along with the second win bookended a remarkable week. In addition Brad Willis wrote about Mercier's father, and the role his family plays in supporting him in his career.
All of which recounts an extraordinary week in Las Vegas, which Mercier tells in his own words on the PokerStars Blog. There's nothing to stop that story continuing for some time yet.
Marbella festival draws to a close
While Mercier was winning in Las Vegas, players who preferred their dry heat on this side of the Atlantic set course for Marbella. Spain, for the joint UKIPT/Estrellas Main Event. Some 844 players did so, paying the €1,000 + €100 buy-in. That meant a prize pool in excess of $800,000 and a first prize of €96,159 to eventual winner Jonathan Schuman of the UK after a three-way deal at the final table yesterday.
Our reporters were ringside from the start, with live updates and an end of tournament report which you can read here.
UKIPT6 Marbella €1,000 Main Event
Places paid: 127
Prize pool: € 810,240
1. Jonathan Schuman (United Kingdom) € 96,159*
2. Bob Janssens (Netherlands) € 101,238*
3. Rodrigo Strong (Brazil) € 110,653*
4. Alexander Voytko (Israel) € 48,610
5. Milos Skrbic (Serbia) PokerStars Qualifier € 38,320
6. Michal Ozimek (Poland) € 28,680
7. Armin Zoike (Germany) PokerStars Qualifier € 20,175
8. Nikola Ristivojevic (Serbia) PokerStars qualifier € 14,180
* Denotes three handed deal
The Sunday Million played out this weekend in the usual fashion, finishing in the early hours of this morning. The result is below while Kristin Bihr tells the full story in her report, which you can read here.
PokerStars Sunday Million result
Entrants: 6,269 (4,930 players, 1,339 re-entries)
Prize pool: $1,253,800
Places paid: 900
1. Koby295 (Germany) $188,928.82*
2. mariusghet12 (Romania) $94,505.49*
3. ktm2502t (Israel) $100,000.00*
4. Akkerx (Hungary) $117,587.41*
5. kurt23x (Costa Rica) $52,659.60
6. marcasa (Netherlands) $40,121.60
7. DogK8 (Brazil) $27,583.60
8. 0Human0 (Romania) $15,045.60
9. SoCloseCall (Malta) $9,716.95
*= denotes a four-way deal
Saturday and Sunday were packed with winners as the weekend PokerStars schedule played out. Below are the top ten, with the link below to all other results.
|$215 SUNDAY MILLION||Koby295||Germany||$188,928.82|
|$215 Sunday Warm-Up||Bluf_To_Much||Moldova, Republic of||$51,360.00|
|$1,050 Sunday Grand NLHE||gusmaa||Brazil||$50,116.50|
|$700 Super-Sized Sunday [Progressive KO]||wuming 23rd||Slovenia||$32,005.27|
|$1,050 Sunday Grand PLO [6-Max]||ImWithSumo||Finland||$31,680.00|
|$215 Sunday Supersonic [6-Max, Hyper-Turbo]||bigstealer||United Kingdom||$30,961.47|
|$22 Mini Sunday Million||luadarko||Greece||$22,255.60|
|$109 Sunday Kickoff||Mr.Lauren90||Switzerland||$21,423.52|
|$11 Sunday Storm||BRAMIB777||Israel||$20,620.02|
|$109 Sunday Cooldown [Turbo]||Mad_Dog_Er1c||Canada||$19,975.09|
Click here for all the results on PokerStars for the weekend of June 18 to 19, 2016.
As always send your questions and comments to us on Twitter: @PokerStarsBlog.
WSOP Photos by PokerPhotoArchive.com
Stephen Bartley is a staff writer for the PokerStars Blog.