WCOOP 2016: Holz and Robin Hood make up the news on Day 9
The Super High Roller ended in usual fashion, with Fedor "CrownUpGuy" Holz walking away with $1 million. But contrary to the usual script he didn't win it, the title going to bencb789. Elsewhere wins for Poleshchikov, 3DTemujiN and leitalopez. Zzwwzzwwzz remains top of the leader board and three more events begin today. Another three conclude.
The headlines from the ninth day of WCOOP 2016
Most days during WCOOP you can to pick your headline, with more than one story able to either inspire, surprise or entertain. That applies today with runners up catching our attention as much as the winners.
There was the near miss of Fedor Holz ("near miss" being a term rarely used in reference to the perpetually on target Holz), or the late result of Leitalopez, who beat Ukraine's answer to Robin Hood, Roman "RomeOpro" Romanovskyi (read more on that in Pauly McGuire's recap of the event).
Read about those events by clicking the hyperlinks above or below.
Box scores from Day 9
WCOOP-26 ($215 PL Omaha, 6-Max, Progressive KO) results
Regular prize pool: $163,200
Bounty prize pool: $54,400
Places paid: 131
1. 3DTemujiN (Kazakhstan) $23,933.75 + $3,977.44 in bounties*
2. jahwise (United Kingdom) $20,090.05 + $880.45 in bounties*
3. h4jniAK (Poland) $11,374.97 + $1,563.63 in bounties
4. insomniac297 (Canada) $7,435.48 + $2,013.64 in bounties
5. Kashmir_uzi (United Kingdom) $4,860.37 + $1,497.23 in bounties
6. Smertin (Switzerland) $3,177.07 + $281,25 in bounties
*Denotes heads-up deal leaving $3,264 in play for the winner
WCOOP-27 ($215 NLHE [Deep Payouts, Sunday Warm-Up SE]) results
Entries: 8,221 (5,860 entries, 2,361 re-entries)
Prize pool: $1,644,200.00
Places paid: 2,078
1. Poleshchikov (Russia) $153,010.07*
2. Michael Chi "mczhang" Zhang (United Kingdom) $130,000.00*
3. kirdface (United Kingdom) $115,462.10*
4. Ben "bennybunny18" Richardson (Australia) $66,240.04
5. mandza17 (Croatia) $47,627.04
6. turcooo (Argentina) $34,244.24
7. David "DonkCommitted" Miscikowski (Costa Rica) $24,621.73
8. grinder1992 (Bulgaria) $17,703.10
9. David "dpeters17" Peters (Canada) $12,728.57
*denotes a three-way deal
WCOOP 2016: Event #28, $102,000 NL Hold'em (8-Max, Super High-Roller) result
Entries: 28 (24 entries, 4 re-entries)
Prize pool: $2,800,000
Places paid: 3
1. bencb789 (Sweden) $1,172,360.60*
2. Fedor "CrownUpGuy" Holz (Austria) $1,067,639.40*
3. salfshb (United Kingdom) $560,000
* denotes results of a heads-up deal
WCOOP-29 ($700 NL [Sunday Million SE]) results
Prize pool: $2,067,485
Places paid: 368
1. leitalopez (Argentina) $298,927.63
2. Roman 'RomeOpro' Romanovskyi $214,929.95
3. Maahone (Sweden) $154,536.64
4. ISILDRooN (Sweden) $111,113.25
5. Siton11 (Ukraine) $79,891.34
6. donkno2 (Germany) $57,442.58
7. Andreas 'mrAndreeew' Berggren (Sweden) $41,301.73
8. FeaNoR4eG (Ukraine) $29,696.31
9. gusmaa (Brazil) $21,351.95
You can qualify for the WCOOP on PokerStars for as little as a few cents. Start your campaign by opening a PokerStars account.
Current leader board standings
Not much has changed at the top of the leader board. Zzwwzzwwzz of China still holds a comfortable lead ahead of Lena900. The only real change is the appearance of bencb789 of Super High Roller success. He moves into ninth place.
Don't forget you can check out the leader board in full on the WCOOP homepage.
Coming up on Tuesday
Three more events start today, while three others will be won.
WCOOP-34: $215 PL Omaha [6-Max, Progressive KO (50%)], $200,000 Guaranteed
WCOOP-35: $1,575 NL Hold'em [Super Tuesday SE], $1,500,000 Guaranteed
WCOOP-36: $1,050 PL Omaha Hi/Lo Championship [8-Max], $200,000 Guaranteed
WCOOP-31: $215+R NL Hold'em
With 18 players remaining this will involve a scrap to the finish line between chip leader G'S zee and the others, among them the likes of Colisea, Epiphany77, mikal12345 and eisenhower1 (plus others). Play restarts at 10:00 ET (3pm in the UK) with $65,000 awaiting the winner. The final table is expected to start around half an hour after play resumes.
WCOOP-33: $320 NL Hold'em [6-Max]
There will be 112 runners when this restarts at 16:00 ET. Pampa27 holds the chip lead and there's $111,000 for the winner. The final table is set to start at approximately 21:30 ET.
WCOOP-32: $320 PL Omaha H/L [8-Max]
Blkcrow leads the 45 players remaining. The Canadian fired four times at this one which has a $43,661 first prize. Also in the running are Team Online's Naoya "nkeyno" Kihara, Talal "raidalot" Shakerchi, Chris "Money800" Moneymaker, Isildur1, and recent WCOOP winner nafnaf_funny. Play restarts at 13:00 ET with the final table due at around 23:50 ET.
You can find details of each of these events on the WCOOP homepage as well as details on how to play and/or win your seat to every WCOOP Main Event.
Stephen Bartley is a staff writer for the PokerStars Blog. Follow him on Twitter: @StephenBartley.