EPT Deauville: Bernard Guigon beats Matthias De Meulder to the trophy, collects €40,500 for his troubles
Bernard Guigon would have last popped up on your poker radar at the EPT Grand Final last year. The Frenchman not only made it to the final table but laddered his way up to a third-place €545,000 finish, just behind Lucille Cailly and Mohsin Charania. The pharmacist from Senegal - not your average poker playing profession - took the trophy in the fast paced event beating Team PokerStars Pro Matthias De Meulder to the trophy.
De Meulder's countrman Pierre Neuville also made the money but the Friend of PokerStars couldn't spin up past a mn-cash. Neuville is one of the most successful players on the EPT with a long string of cashes which was crowned last season by a runner-up finish at EPT Copenhagen last season.
EPT9 Deauville, event #23
Date: 7 February 2013
Game: NLHE 30-minute levels
Prize pool: €129,600
1. Bernard Guigon, France, €40,500
2. Stephane Benadiba, France, €22,700
3. Matthias De Meulder, Belgium, Team Pokerstars Pro, €13,600
4. Atanas Gueorguiev, Bulgaria, €9,720
5. Lewis Hunter, UK, €7,780
6. Omar Lakhdari, France, €6,480
7. Julien Lhomer, France, €5,180
8. Alexander Lakhov, Russia, €3,900
9. Alain Roy, France, €2,850
10. Florens Feenstra, Netherlands, €2,850
11. Adrien Guyon, France, €2,610
12. Pierre Neuville, Belgium, Friend of Pokerstars, €2,610
13. Erwann Pecheux, France, €2,340
14. Romain Dours, France, €2,340
15. Konstantin Puchkov, Russia, €2,070
16. Agris Klaise, Latvia, €2,070
Click through to live coverage of the EPT Deauville Main Event or you can take a look at the High Roller reports. Check out all the festival results from EPT Deauville. Follow the @PokerStarsBlog Twitter account to keep up-to-date with all the EPT action.
Rick Dacey is a staff writer for the PokerStars Blog.