Borja Gonzalez Urteaga wins Estrellas Poker Tour San Sebastian and €65,000
Spaniard Borja Gonzalez Urteaga last night won ESPT San Sebastian to claim €65,000 and in doing so closed out Alejandro Piñeiro Barcelo's attempt to claim a second ESPT title heads up. Gonzalez Urteaga beat a 269-strong field in the €1,100 buy-in tournament at the penultimate stop of Season 3 to take home the trophy in what was the 12th ESPT main event.
Piñeiro Barcelo, who came so close to being the first ESPT double champ, following his ESPT Alicante win in May 2011, can chalk up another €41,000 onto his rapidly expanding poker ledger. Third-place finisher Daniel Fresneda Piña (€23,000) made it an all-Spanish podium with Lucian Tofan of Romania (4th) the only non-Spaniard to take a final table slice of the €258,240 prize pool.
The final table
1. Borja Gonzalez Urteaga, Spain, €65,000
2. Alejandro Piñeiro Barcelo, Spain, €41,000
3. Daniel Fresneda Piña, Spain, PokerStars qualifier, €23,000
4. Lucian Tofan, Romania, PokerStars qualifier, €18,000
5. Emilio Jose Beldarrain Oleaga, Spain, €15,100
6. Jaume Niell Aloma, Spain, €12,390
7. José Luis Rujas Gil, Spain, €9,800
8. Vicente Delgado Zamorano, Spain, PokerStars player, €7,750
If you want to see your name on a final table roll of honour you have just one chance left to take a shot at the Estrellas Poker Tour, but what an opportunity it is. The Barcelona poker festival begins with a super-satellite on 13 August with side events beginning on the 14 August and the main event the day after on 15 August. The full ESPT Barcelona schedule can be found here. The main event also leads into the first event of the European Poker Tour Season 9 with its €5,300 main event. Check on the PokerStars lobby under Events > EPT or Events > More > Estrellas for satellites and qualifiers.