Horacio Nicolás wins LAPT Player of the Year race
The Latin American Poker Tour has a new Player of the Year with Argentine Horacio Nicolás topping the leader board at the conclusion of the tour's seventh season.
The LAPT Awards reward consistently good performance on the circuit. which this year passed through Viña del Mar in Chile, Sao Paulo in Brazil, Panama City in Panama, and Lima, Peru. During those stops Nicolás accumulated 1,740 points to finish on top and earn a "Passport" for all Main Events in LAPT Season 8.
While he played the Main Events this year (and will now play those in 2015) the bulk of Nicolás's points were earned in side events, where he seemed an ever present final table finisher - three in Sao Paulo, and one in Panama, before he finished sixth in the High Roller event in Peru. His points tally at the end of the season was nearly 600 more than second place Amos Ben from Chile.
Here's how the leader board looked as the season came to an end.
1. Horacio Fernando Nicolas (Argentina) 1,740 points
2. Amos Ben (Chile) 1,145
3. Johann David Ibañez Diaz (Colombia) 1,100
4. Camilo Andres Zuluaga Valencia (Colombia) 1,095
5. Fabian Daniel Ortiz (Argentina) 950
5. Victor Sbrissa (Brazil) 950
5. Joaquin Matias Ruiz Travi (Argentina) 950
5. Guillermo Olvera Acuna (Mexico) 950
9. Rafael Guillermo Pardo Gonzalez (Colombia) 935
10. Luis Alfonso Perez Harrero (Venezuela) 930
Stephen Bartley is a staff writer for the PokerStars Blog.