Macau Poker Cup Championship ready to kick off
Anyone looking for a poker tournament near you will have little trouble finding a live PokerStars event in the month of October as the Macau Poker Cup: Championship (Oct 7-16) hosted by PokerStars Macau at Casino Grand Lisboa is set to begin with EPT London (Sep 30-Oct 6) and ANZPT Darwin (Oct 4-8) already well into their respective schedules.
The MPCC is the finale for Asia's popular regional series and features the HKD $20,000 Main Event which boasts a HKD $4,500,000 Guarantee. Besides the main event, the 10-day poker series will also include 11 Official Asia Player of the Year events and each one of those tournaments playing a bigger role as the Asia poker calendar enters its final quarter.
Not only does the eventual APOY winner get bragging rights and have his name immortalized on the permanent trophy, but also receives a coveted 1-year sponsorship from PokerStars Macau.
Malaysia's Raiden Kan has put himself into contention after a successful run of back-to-back runner up finishes at the recent MPC September Special. Kan is now no. 4 in the rankings. Hung-Sheng "Shaq" Lin has a solid hold on the top position but will have to survive 25 more APOY-qualifying tournaments in 2011. Notables in the running include Team PokerStars Pro Vivian Im (no. 9), China's Haifeng Xue (no. 2), and Shaq's brother - Hung-Chang Lin (no. 3).
2011 Asia Player of the Year Leaderboard
1. Hung-Sheng Lin (Chinese Taipei) 4,955 points, $951,490 winnings
2. Haifeng Xue (China) 3,431 points, $989,000 winnings
3. Hung-Chang Lin (Chinese Taipei) 3,044 points, $269,218 winnings
4. Raiden Kan (Malaysia) 2,760 points, $459,740 winnings
5. Mark Benasa (Philippines) 2,585 points, $1,100,000 winnings
6. Ion Sang Song (Macau) 2,510 points, $331,000 winnings
7. Kwan Pao Mah (Canada) 2,365 points, $983,400 winnings
8. Tetsuya Tsuchikawa (Japan) 2,184 points,$729,268 winnings
9. Vivian Im (Korea) 2,154 points, $760,000 winnings
10. Charles Lam (Hong Kong) 2,077 points, $396,100 winnings
Defending 2010 MPCC champion Julian Hasse from Germany has confirmed his attendance as has inaugural winner Devan Tang from Hong Kong. Joining the title holders are Im and fellow Team PokerStars: Pros Celina Lin, Raymond Wu, and reigning APOY Bryan Huang; Team PokerStars: Online Dale "Daleroxxu" Philip; PokerStars sponsored players Neil Arce and Justin Chan; and, Lee "Final Table" Nelson who recently added the ANZPT Melbourne 2011 title to his trophy case that already boasts the 2007 Aussie Millions trophy.
The festivities launch with Event 1: HKD $8,800 NLH ($1,000,000 Guarantee) on Friday, October 7.
Macau Poker Cup: Championship Schedule
(All figures in HKD)
For the complete Macau Poker Cup Championship schedule please visit www.pokerstarsmacau.com