Makridis tops record Macau Poker Cup side event field for HKD $88K
Previously, the largest field for the popular HKD $1,500 deepstack event was 227 runners and the all-time side event record in Macau stood at 276 until Monday night's final tally.
"I knew there would be a good chance at another record-setting week with such a strong turnout for the first event," said Danny McDonagh, PokerStars Director of Live Operations in the Asia-Pacific. "There's a global trend for re-entry tournaments to build numbers, so for us to set this record with a single buy-in freezeout really shows the support for the Macau Poker Cup in Asia, and it's just phenomenal."
The HKD $150k guarantee event had 31 players return on Tuesday afternoon to determine their share of the HKD $384,993 prize pool. Aussie Panagiotis "Panos" Makridis came out victorious and won HKD $88,500 in the process.
South African Graeme Niksch held a slight chip lead entering heads up play but Panos built up his stack. In the final hand, Panos moved all-in with A-Q and was called by Niksch's K-J. Both players hit on the board of 9♦5♥J♦T♥A♠, but the pair of aces was the winner sending the 40-year-old to victory lane.
Event 3: Deepstack - Final Table Results
1. Panagiotis Makridis (Australia) -- $88,500
2. Graeme Niksch (South Africa) -- $60,600
3. Akira Ohyama (Japan) -- $36,600
4. Lee Drotzur (USA) -- $28,900
5. Yosuke Sekiya (Japan) -- $23,100
6. Percy Yung (Hong Kong) -- $19,200
7. Soon Ann Gan (Malaysia) -- $15,400
8. Phillip Chow (Hong Kong) -- $11,500
9. En Zhang (China) -- $9,600
10. Chi-han Hsieh (Chinese Taipei) -- $7,893
For more information, visit the PokerStars Macau website.