Xiao Yang Cui wins opening PokerStars Macau Cup event
Event 1: $3,000 NLH was won by Xiao Yang Cui from Australia who bested a field of 196 players and collected HKD $127,100 for his victory. In total, 22 players cashed for their share of the HKD $518,616 prize pool in the largest opening event since the 9-day MPC schedule began last year.
Cui dominated the final table and entered heads up play against Taiwanese Chen An Lin with a 9-to-1 chip lead. In the final hand, Lin moved all-in with A♦5♦ and was quickly called by Cui who held A♠J♠.
A five on the flop gave Lin some hope but the board cards of 5-9-Q-7-4 were all spades to give the Chinese Aussie a nut flush for the title.
The HKD $3,000 buy-in event was the first of nine Official Asia Player of the Year Events during the MPC: Red Dragon and Cui holds the early lead where the eventual winner will receive a one-year sponsorship with PokerStars Macau.
"This is my first time playing a tournament in Macau...I plan to play all the events this time," said the 26-year-old poker pro. "I'm planning to build up my (APOY) points and get the sponsorship from PokerStars Macau this year."
Event 1: $3,000 NLH - Final Table Results
1. Xiao Yang Cui (Australia) -- $127,100
2. Chen An Lin (Chinese Taipei) -- $85,600
3. Wing Kwok Tang (Hong Kong) -- $51,900
4. Wing Cheung Tang (Hong Kong) -- $41,500
5. David Goldberg (Australia) -- $33,700
6. Scott Charlton (UK) -- $28,500
7. Ta-wei Yeh (Chinese Taipei) -- $23,300
8. Sparrow Cheung (Hong Kong) -- $18,200
9. Jung Wei Huang (Chinese Taipei) -- $13,000
10. Edward Yam (Hong Kong) -- $10,016